Additional Space and Enhanced Capabilities Will
Accommodate Growing Distribution Client Business
NEW YORK and DELRAN, NEW JERSEY, June 15—At a ribbon-cutting ceremony today, Simon & Schuster announced that it has opened the warehouse expansion of its Riverside Distribution Center in Delran, New Jersey. The facility in Delran operates as the company’s primary warehouse, distribution and customer service center for its North American publishing operations, shipping books to retail, wholesale and specialty accounts in in the United States, Canada and worldwide for both Simon & Schuster and its current roster of 50 distribution clients.
The expansion was undertaken to accommodate additional distribution client business, and adds 200,000 square feet to the facility’s existing structure. The high bay/high density design of the addition will allow the company to double pallet storage capacity at the facility.
In addition to greater storage & title capacity, the expanded facility will allow for improved flow of incoming and outgoing inventory, resulting in faster turnaround time for customer orders, and a reduction in traffic on streets in the warehouse vicinity.
“This beautiful, state-of-the-art expansion to our Distribution Center facility is the best statement we could possibly make about the overall importance of the distribution client business to Simon & Schuster. We have committed significant resources and capital to this facility in order to grow our family of clients, and are well-positioned to provide the world-class service for which we are known to both our current and future clients.” said Carolyn Reidy, President and Chief Executive Officer of Simon & Schuster. “We are fortunate to have had a long and fruitful presence here in Delran, and thank the Township of Delran and Burlington County for their assistance and partnership as we enter this exciting new phase in our relationship with the southern New Jersey community.”
Simon & Schuster, a part of CBS Corporation, is a global leader in the field of general interest publishing, dedicated to providing the best in fiction and nonfiction for consumers of all ages, across all printed, electronic, and audio formats. Its divisions include Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing, Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing, Simon & Schuster Audio, Simon & Schuster Digital, and international companies in Australia, Canada, India and the United Kingdom. For more information, visit our website at www.simonandschuster.com
Senior Vice President, Corporate Communications
ABOUT THE SIMON & SCHUSTER RIVERSIDE DISTRIBUTION FACILITY IN DELRAN
- Located at 100 Front Street, the facility has been a book distribution center for since 1956. Initially operated by Macmillan, it has been owned and operated by Simon & Schuster since 1994.
- The facility provides warehousing, distribution and customer service for Simon & Schuster and more than 50 independent publishing companies, including Andrews McMeel Publishing, Gallup Press,. Kaplan Publishing, Reader’s Digest, and VIZ Media.
- The services over 2000 new Simon & Schuster titles annually from 39,000 skus, with a proven capacity to ship more than 150 million units annually.
- The facility’s previous footprint was 520,000 square feet and 48,000 full-pallet slots: the post-expansion footprint will be 718,000 square feet with an additional 48,000 pallet slots.
- With the expansion, the facility will now have a total of 31 shipping and receiving docks (it previously had 21), significantly improving the flow of goods through the facility.
- The facility has 375 full time employees, and more seasonally.