Our Mission Statement
Simon & Schuster is a leading international publisher dedicated to sharing a broad range of works that educate, entertain, and inspire readers of all ages. We publish books that represent many perspectives, to stimulate readers’ curiosity and intellectual exploration, and have the capacity to both inform and challenge our views, and to create change in the world. Our passionate commitment to excellence in all aspects of publishing is reflected in our unceasing effort to bring our authors’ works to the widest possible audience.
Simon & Schuster Overview
- Simon & Schuster was founded in 1924 by Richard L. Simon and M. Lincoln Schuster.
- Simon & Schuster is part of Paramount.
- Simon & Schuster is a major force in today’s consumer publishing industry, dedicated to bringing an extensive cross section of first-class information and entertainment in all printed, digital, and audio formats to a worldwide audience of readers.
- Simon & Schuster consists of numerous prestigious and well-known imprints, including Simon & Schuster, Scribner, Atria Books, Gallery Books, Pocket Books, Threshold Editions, Free Press, Avid Reader Press, Adams Media, Simon Element, Scout Press and Howard Books.
- Major children’s imprints include Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers, Atheneum Books for Young Readers, Aladdin, Little Simon, Beach Lane Books, Margaret K. McElderry Books, Paula Wiseman Books, Caitlyn Dlouhy Books, Denene Millner Books, Salaam Reads and Simon Spotlight.
- In 2021 the company announced a number of new imprints: 13A, dedicated to publishing renowned and relevant Black voices in culture and politics; Simon Element, a lifestyle imprint, and the eponymous imprint Marysue Rucci Books.
- New Children’s imprints include Boynton Bookworks, dedicated to the works of legendary Children’s author and illustrator Sandra Boynton.
- Simon & Schuster publishes more than 2000 titles annually.
- Simon & Schuster has approximately 1500 employees and can distribute its titles in physical and digital editions in more than 100 countries and territories around the world.
- Simon & Schuster has publishing and distribution capabilities in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and India, as well as an international sales presence in every major market.
- In 2021 Simon & Schuster imprints had a total of 219 New York Times bestsellers, including 29 #1 bestsellers. Major bestsellers in the year included The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave, It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover, The Code Breaker by Walter Isaacson, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid, Billy Summers by Stephen King, American Marxism by Mark R. Levin, Life After Death by Sister Souljah, Peril by Bob Woodward and Robert Costa, State of Terror by Hillary Clinton and Louise Penny, Taste by Stanley Tucci, Game On by Janet Evanovich, and Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr.
- Prominent bestsellers from the Simon & Schuster’s Children’s Publishing Division in 2021 included Chain of Iron by Cassandra Clare, These Violent Delights and Our Violent Ends by Chloe Gong, Aristotle and Dante Dive into the Waters of the World by Benjamin Alire Sáenz, Out of My Heart by Sharon M. Draper, and Stuntboy, in the Meantime by Jason Reynolds, illustrated by Raúl the Third.
- Simon & Schuster books are frequent winners and finalists for some of the world’s most prestigious awards. Award recipients and finalists in recent years include Frederick Douglass by David Blight (Pulitzer Prize in History), Fathoms by Rebecca Giggs (Andrew Carnegie Medal for Nonfiction), How We Fight for Our Lives by Saeed Jones (Kirkus Award), Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr (National Book Award Finalist), Look Both Ways by Jason Reynolds (National Book Award Finalist), Me & Mama by Cozbi A. Cabrera (Caldecott Honor) and Genesis Begins Again by Alicia D. Williams (Newbery Honor)
- In all, Simon & Schuster titles have received 57 Pulitzer Prizes, 18 National Book Awards, 13 National Book Critics Circle Awards, 6 Andrew Carnegie Medals and 9 Grammy Awards. Children’s publishing has garnered 15 Caldecott Medals and 19 Newbery Medals.
- Simon & Schuster Audio is one of the original and largest audiobook publishers in the industry, with a list of high quality fiction and nonfiction from both Simon & Schuster and external publishing houses, and published in the fast-growing digital audio format, as well as compact disk. Bestselling and notable audios in 2021 included Later by Stephen King, The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave, The Devil’s Hand by Jack Carr, Billy Summers by Stephen King, Peril by Bob Woodward and Robert Costa, American Marxism by Mark R. Levin, and Taste by Stanley Tucci.
- Simon & Schuster Audio also publishes original audiobooks. Titles include the Grammy Award-nominated series Sunday Mornings in the Plains; Stephen King’s Drunken Fireworks; Barack Obama: The 60 Minutes Interviews; and Star Trek: Picard: No Man’s Land.
- Simon & Schuster has one of the industries most respected distribution programs, serving over 100 clients in genres as diverse as graphic novels to poetry.
- The Audio Division’s Pimsleur Language Program, one of the fastest growing language education series in the world was recently named “The best overall language-learning program” by New York magazine.
- Simonandschuster.com and related web properties receive a combined total of approximately 2.5 million unique visitors monthly and serve as an online location where readers and fans can find easily accessible information about their favorite books and authors, including video and audio interviews, clips, news, national and local media and bookstore appearances, and engage in a community of like-minded readers.
- Simon & Schuster operates numerous popular direct to consumer content verticals including Off the Shelf, History in Five and Riveted by Simon Teen which each bring timely and relevant book recommendations to a devoted fan base of readers.
- Simon & Schuster author videos accumulated 15M views in 2021 and can be seen on 5 YouTube channels and numerous social platforms.
- Simon & Schuster also operates dedicated resource sites for librarians and academics (www.simonandschuster.net) and booksellers and media (www.about.simonandschuster.biz)
- Simon & Schuster publishes some of the most recognizable brands in the world of entertainment, including Gallery Books/Pocket Books’ Star Trek® publishing program, one of the most successful series in publishing history, and which recently launched a new series in conjunction with the new Paramount + series Star Trek: Picard.
- The company enjoys a close relationship with parent company Paramount, who has adapted Simon & Schuster works such as the To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before series and the Nancy Drew series. Simon & Schuster also publishes books based on Paramount properties such as the bestselling Five Feet Apart and novels featured in the popular TV Land series Younger.
- Simon & Schuster is the home of numerous successful brand-based publishing for young readers including Peanuts, PJ Masks, and Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood.