NEW YORK, May 23—It is the perennial question of summer: I’m going to the beach, what book should I read? Now, publishing powerhouse Simon & Schuster is helping readers solve that problem with a coast-to-coast, summer-long beach reading bonanza that combines old-school location promotions with the latest digital methods to create awareness of this summer’s hottest reads.
The #WhatBeachWhatBook campaign will run through Labor Day weekend, with a focus on the books that people are excited to read and where they like to read them. From New York to California and Alabama and points up and down the coasts, and featuring books for every taste from page-turning suspense to literary fiction, young adult and more, #WhatBeachWhatBook will be a multi-faceted campaign with video, retail, email, content, partner marketing, social media and “street teams” (or “beach teams”) to introduce great books to beachgoers. Highlights of the effort, which will promote a selection of more than 200 Simon & Schuster titles, include:
- Free reads for beachgoers starting Memorial Day Weekend! Simon & Schuster has partnered with POPSUGAR to select 10 lucky beaches from coast-to-coast where sunbathers will be able to read fantastic ebooks for free on their own devices by downloading the easy-to-use Foli app (complete books will be available to readers for up to three days while they are at the beach). They will have access to these free reads anytime they are at the beach throughout the summer.
- Beachgoers at select locations will also have access to Snapchat geo-filters that will allow them to share what they are reading with friends on Snapchat.
- In June, Simon & Schuster will also visit prominent New York metropolitan area beaches to give away free print copies of bestselling books to beachgoers!
- Simon & Schuster will also offer monthly discounts on beach read ebooks available at all ebook retailers.
- Videos, quizzes, lists, and more will be posted across Simon & Schuster’s social media throughout the summer aiming to help readers find their next great beach read.
- Simon & Schuster will showcase readers’ photos shared on social media with the campaign hashtag, #WhatBeachWhatBook.
“We’re excited to deliver our tremendous list of summer books right to our readers’ beach chairs,” said Liz Perl, Chief Marketing Officer at Simon & Schuster. “Reaching readers has never been so much fun—whether we are beaming ebooks to their devices or hitting the boardwalk to personally hand deliver books to our sandy readers.”
For more information go to http://www.simonandschuster.com/beachreads or follow us on social media:
BEACHES AND BOOKS IN THE SIMON & SCHUSTER #WHATBEACHWHATBOOK SUMMER READING CAMPAIGN
- Rockaway Beach, New York
- Cape Hatteras National Seashore in Outer Banks, North Carolina
- Carolina Beach, Wilmington, North Carolina
- Narragansett Town Beach, Narragansett, Rhode Island
- Isle of Palms, South Carolina
- Boardwalk, Venice Beach, California
- Boardwalk, Santa Monica, California
- Gulf Shores, Alabama
- Baker Beach, San Francisco, California
- Pensacola Beach, Florida
- The German Girl by Armando Lucas Correa
- The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid
- The White Princess by Philippa Gregory
- Man Overboard by J.A. Jance
- All American Boys by Jason Reynolds and Brendan Kiely
- Zeroes by Scott Westerfeld
- Slightly South of Simple by Kristy Woodson Harvey
- Close Enough to Touch by Colleen Oakley
- All by Myself, Alone by Mary Higgins Clark
- All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda
- The Devil’s Triangle by Catherine Coulter and J.T. Ellison
- Kill the Father by Sandrone Dazieri
- The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware
ABOUT SIMON & SCHUSTER
Simon & Schuster, a part of CBS Corporation, is a global leader in the field of general interest publishing, dedicated to providing the best in fiction and nonfiction for consumers of all ages, across all printed, electronic, and audio formats. Its divisions include Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing, Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing, Simon & Schuster Audio, Simon & Schuster Digital, and international companies in Australia, Canada, India and the United Kingdom. For more information, visit our website at www.simonandschuster.com
Contact: Adam Rothberg
Senior Vice President, Corporate Communications