NEW YORK January 16– The Atria Books Publishing Group announces the launch of Signal Press, its new imprint, led by Vice President and Publisher Julia Cheiffetz. Signal Press will publish books that contribute to the conversation around feminism, politics, and issues of social justice, and will also publish biographies that illuminate historical and contemporary figures. Associate Editor Caitie Hawthorne, who joined Signal Press from NBC News earlier this fall, will also acquire for Signal.
Since joining the company in July 2018, Cheiffetz has acquired eleven titles for Signal, including:
- HOW TO RAISE A BOY: Rethinking Gender in America After #Metoo, by Emma Brown, the Washington Post Reporter who broke the Brett Kavanaugh story.
- IDA B THE QUEEN, a biography of the trail blazing journalist and civil rights leader Ida B. Wells, by Wells’ great-granddaughter Michelle Duster.
- BULLETS AND OPIUM: Real-Life Stories of China After Tiananmen Square, by award-winning poet and dissident Liao Yiwu, to coincide with the 30th anniversary of the protests.
- THE FIRST, a book on free speech by celebrated public intellectual and author Stanley Fish, to be published this fall in the run-up to the 2020 elections.
- ELON, a biography of Elon Musk by award-winning Bloomberg reporter Tom Randall.
Signal’s list will draw on Cheiffetz’s well-known ability to publish works of social import and books by and about major cultural figures. Prior to joining Atria Books, Cheiffetz commissioned Notorious RBG, which has sold over 300,000 copies, when she saw Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg emerge as an unlikely internet hero in 2014. In the summer of 2016, Cheiffetz signed NBC’s Katy Tur based on a short Marie Claire article. Tur’s book UNBELIEVABLE, debuted at #2 on the New York Times list alongside Hillary Clinton’s WHAT HAPPENED.
Cheiffetz says, “My favorite books are what I call ‘nutritional candy’ – books that engage with serious subject matter in a way that is captivating, sometimes playful, and always story driven. It is an exciting moment in the culture for feminism and politics and I look forward to giving a platform to a diverse group of writers who will harness that energy. Signal will publish books that are bold and enduring.”
Libby McGuire, Senior Vice President and Publisher of Atria Books says, “This is absolutely the right time to create this imprint. Signal will continue Atria’s tradition of publishing a vibrant range of thinkers and writers.”
Atria Books is an imprint of Simon & Schuster, a part of CBS Corporation, and a global leader in general interest publishing, dedicated to providing the best in fiction and nonfiction for readers of all ages, and in all printed, digital and audio formats. Its distinguished roster of authors includes many of the world’s most popular and widely recognized writers, and winners of the most prestigious literary honors and awards. It is home to numerous well-known imprints and divisions such as Simon & Schuster, Scribner, Atria Books, Gallery Books, Pocket Books, Touchstone, Adams Media, Threshold Editions, Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing and Simon & Schuster Audio and international companies in Australia, Canada, India and the United Kingdom. Simon & Schuster proudly brings the works of its authors to readers in more than 200 countries and territories. For more information about Atria visit our website at atriabooks.com or signalpress.com.
Lisa Sciambra ǀ Deputy Director of Publicity